Introduction to Photography
Virtual class hosted via zoom
October 13 to November 17
Wednesdays (6 weeks)
10:00-11:00 AM EST
Unicorn Children's Foundation is partnering with Samia Creative to offer an informal and social gathering where we will use Photography to bond and make friends. There will be no homework and you will not need to submit your photos, although if you wish to, then it is welcomed! This class aims to reduce stress and anxiety as there are no expectations on the participants aside from practicing kindness towards each other.
What you can expect:
• To meet once a week with a Photography teacher and your peers to discuss or practice photography in a non-academic way
• For the class to be informal in structure, meaning one week we could be in the garden/patio taking photos and another week we may be discussing a famous photograph as a group
• Experimentation - we will also experiment further with class structure, such as going on a photowalk if participants are able to join class through a cellphone
• To practice photography as a therapy. The practice of photography has many therapeutic properties such as the ability to reduce stress, anxiety and low moods
• To bond as a group and create friendships with peers
• Self exploration - to bring sentimental photos to class and discuss life events and
meaning through photography, while also receiving support from peers
• To build self esteem and confidence
These are things you will need in order to participate and join the club. Though good attendance is highly favored, this class is not linear, meaning it is okay to miss now and then if you are unable to make it as the rest of your experience will not be jeopardized.
• A device and internet connection to join class with (such as a laptop, computer, iPad or cell phone)
• A second device to take photos with (such as a cellphone with a camera, or a digital camera)
• The ability to use those devices fairly independently, or otherwise with a helper (who has tech skills) present
**The value of this class is $70.00 per session but will be offered at a discounted rate, with support of available grants & donations.